Infections

From Pcwiki

Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Preventing Infections

"Daikins Solution can be used; however, just as effective and less expensive is to put 1 capful of bleach (unscented, plain household bleach) into 1 gallon of water then soak. This kills yeast which causes fungus and virus; it is powerful. Use a fresh batch each time as it loses potency if stored. Rinse after using. Apply Vaseline while still wet.

Questions: What about vinegar instead of bleach? Answer: It kills yeast, but it stings

Question: What about peroxide? Answer: Not as effective, plus it causes tissue damage.

Question: What about witch hazel? Answer: Okay, but it has lots of alcohol and it dries the skin

Question: Instead of using Vaseline, what about A&D or Aquaphor. Answer: Okay, but more expensive and likely not really more effective"

ANTIMICROBIAL BLEACH BATH (Derm/LMM/2002)

by Dr. Leonard Milstone

Aim for a 0.05% solution of hypochlorite. Laundry bleach contains 5% hypochlorite.

Use 1 ounce bleach in a gallon of water to give 0.04%. (2 tablespoons) Or put 30 ounces (about 4 cups) of bleach in the average 30 gallon tub. If you only fill the tub half full of water, use two cups of bleach.

If this concentration is irritating, it can be reduced to 0.01%.

Soaking should be for at least 30 minutes, 1-2 times per week.

Infections

Nails

K6a patient "Infected - red swollen, filled with pus. Nail pulsates and is extremely painful. Trim when feel the twinge of infected nail. With children, won't know until it's too late. Sometimes, can trim and avoid the swollen nail. Many times, must wait until nail "ripens". Then soak for long time in very warm water until nail is very soft. A gentle slice with a sharp razor blade may be enough to draw out the pus. Sometimes an especially thick nail will need help of large nail clippers, but pressure is involved with those, so if can get the pus through the nail with razor blade, the pain is less severe. Once pus comes out, soak again. We like the bubbly Hydrogen Peroxide. Then add an antibiotic ointment. If infection is too bad, will on occasion need a prescription antibiotic. Great relief when pus comes out. Sometimes it's not enough and on occasion, red lines have gone up the finger. In that case, an immediate trip to the doctor for an antibiotic is necessary."

K6a patient "If the nail area starts to get red, soak it in warm, salty water or warm solution of Epsom Salts as often as possible. Sometimes prolonged soaking soften nails so hole forms spontaneously - the best outcome. Soaking also relieves symptoms without needing antibiotics or lancing."

K6a patient "Swimming for us often results in nail infections."

K6a patient "We put Sally Hanson Hard as Nails (a clear polish) on nails after sanding them. We thinks it makes the nail more durable, and less prone to infection."

K6a patient "Infected nails; Very painful "our heart beats in our finger: and it's very hot." Wait for nail to mature (takes analgesic syrup to calm the pain.) Once the pus is assembled, bore with a needle and disinfect. Great relief when pus comes out."

K6a patient "Trim regularly using large nail clippers. Trim PC children's nails every few weeks using large nail clippers and razor blades. Soak nails in water first. Seems to ward off infectious nails. Can sometimes feel a twinge in nail to warn of oncoming infection. Trimming immediately can avoid the problem altogether. Never get infected nails as an adult, but young children still do."

K6a patient "I found out from one of my relatives that she was taken a strong medicine (very expensive as well) recommended by a dermatologist she met. She has been taking this medicine daily for the past 4-5 months I think and the interesting thing is that her thickened nails are healing pretty good. I went to see her and i saw that her thumbnail was almost leveled to the skin, according to her this same nail was really thick before she starting taking this medicine. The medicine's name is Seritral."

  • Comment 1 (PC Physician Panel member; Dermatologist) -- "Seritral is an oral anti-fungal agent and the excipient is just the inert material that holds the pill together. The name of the anti-fungal is itraconazole and it does work well as an antifungal, but patients using this medicine should be monitored for possible liver toxicities, especially if they receive it for a longer period of time or at a high dose. The antifungal will rid the feet of the fungus and if there was a fungal infection going on there, it may improve the condition by reducing the "trauma" to the feet, but will not get rid of the problem altogether because it doesn't change the genetic features of the skin. It is also remotely possible that there may be a second effect of the drug, in addition to the anti-fungal effects, that could help to improve the condition (but not cure it), but this has never been studied and so I would be very hesitant to draw that conclusion."
  • Personal tools